Many New Orleans Bed and Breakfasts and hotels give travelers a fabulous gift for Christmas each year–special Papa Noël rates on lodging. In other words, the holiday season is one of the most affordable times to travel to New Orleans. So go ahead–give yourself a New Orleans holiday.
In addition to deeply discounted rates on lodging, the holiday season in New Orleans offers wonderful Réveillon Dinners, Cathedral Concerts , festively decorated neighborhoods, street bands, a Festival of Trees, holiday house tours, Singing Santa and the Riverwalk Jazz Band, and much, much, more. The sheer volume of events would be overwhelming were it not for the fact that holiday fun is around every corner; it isn’t necessary to follow a strict itinerary, just go where your heart takes you.
Many holiday events take place in public spaces and are free to the public. Others require reservations, and therefore a bit of planning.
“Be Spontaneous” Events:
- Singing Santa and the Riverwalk Jazz Band. Follow Santa and his band as they stroll through the New Orleans Riverwalk, playing Dixieland jazz and holiday tunes as they go.
- Holiday Movies on the Mississippi, December 2 and 9 at 6:30 p.m. Sip hot chocolate, nibble on tasty treats, and watch a free holiday classic on a 26-foot outdoor screen in Riverwalk’s Spanish Plaza.
- Refresh yourself with live jazz, delicious food, and drinks on the patio at Cafe Beignet throughout December.
- St. Louis Cathedral Christmas Concerts take place several times a week throughout the month of December. All concerts begin at 6 p.m. except the December 18 Annual Christmas Concert, which starts at 5 p.m. A complete schedule is available at St. Louis Cathedral.
- Caroling in Jackson Square. Join other residents and visitors for a moving evening of song and candlelight. Song sheets and candles provided.
“Advance Planning” Events:
- 36th Annual Holiday Home Tour, Saturday and Sunday, December 10 and 11, 2011. A self guided tour through seven distinctive homes in the Garden District.
- Celebration in the Oaks, evenings, November 25, 2011 through January 1, 2012. See the Botanical Gardens transformed into a magical world of color and music. Outdoor ice skating, Carousel Gardens, and thousands upon thousands of lights.
- Holiday Tea at Longue Vue House and Gardens, Tuesdays and Thursdays from December 8 to December 29. Details at Long Vue House.
- Running of the Santas, December 17 from noon to midnight. A pub crawl for the holidays. Don’t forget to wear your Santa suit.
The lists go on and on; suffice to say there will be no shortage of holiday fun in New Orleans between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. Reserve a room at one of our member New Orleans Bed and Breakfasts, pack your bags, and treat yourself to Christmas in New Orleans this year.
Tags: Cafe Beignet, Celebration of the Oaks, Festival of Trees, holiday events, Holiday Home Tour, lodging specials, Movies by the Mississippi, New Orleans Bed and Breakfasts, Papa Noël discounts, Running of the Santas, St. Louis Cathedral Concerts